Sunday, December 1, 2013
Episode 27: Linguistics: Myths & MisconceptionsAlternatives to Thought, Podcast, Special Guests
In this episode Chalmer and special reoccurring guest Joel Guttormson discuss some linguistic mythology… literally. How many colors does your language have? Is there a mother tongue? And will Norm ever be convinced? YOLO with this edition of Alternatives to Thought.
References and Resources
- Additional download and listening options can be found at www.archve.org
- Joel Guttormson is the Outreach and Event Coordinator for the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science (RDFRS)
- BadLinguistics, and excellent blog dedicated to exposing pseudolinguistics.
- Pseudolinguistics on Rationalwiki.org
- Relevant Linguistics, 2nd Edition, Paul W. Justice, Center for the Study of Language and Inf; 2nd Revised edition. January 16, 2006, ISBN-10: 1575862182
- Linguistic Anthropology (Second Edition), Nancy Parrott Hickerson, Wadsworth Publishing; 2nd Edition. November 29, 2000, ISBN-10: 0155051784
- Historical Linguistics: An Introduction, Lyle Campbell, The MIT Press; second edition. October 1, 2004), ISBN-10: 0262532670