Thursday, December 15, 2011
Episode 10: AIDS DenialismAlternatives to Thought
What is the cost of willful ignorance? And what are the ramifications of doing nothing about it? In this episode Chalmer leads us on a journey to South Africa, and reveals just how devastating a perfect storm of scientific ignorance and AIDS Denialism can be. It’s all aboard the crazy train for some more examples of Alternatives to Thought.
References and Resources
- Additional download and listening options can be found at www.archve.org.
- Check out Chalmer’s lecture on AIDS Denialism in South Africa on You Tube.
- Chigwedere P, Seage GR, Gruskin S, Lee TH, Essex M (October 2008). “Estimating the Lost Benefits of Antiretroviral Drug Use in South Africa”. Journal of acquired immune deficiency syndromes (1999) 49 (4): 410–415.
- Nattrass N (February 2008). “Estimating the Lost Benefits of Antiretroviral Drug Use in South Africa”. African Affairs 107 (427): 157–76
- Mortal Combat: AIDS Denialism and the Struggle for Antiretrovirals in South Africa, by Nicoli Nattrass (google books preview)
- Denying AIDS: Conspiracy Theories, Pseudoscience, and Human Tragedy By Seth C. Kalichma (google books preview)
- The Politics of Aids Denialism: South Africa’s Failure to Respond By Pieter Fourie, Melissa Meye (google books preview)
- AIDS Denialism vs. Science, by Nicoli Nattrass Volume 31.5, September / October 2007, published in The Committee for Skeptical Inquiry