Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Episode 20: Evolution Part 1Alternatives to Thought
Today we call in reinforcements as Chalmer takes the reins and leads us through some common objections used by those who attack Evolution. Join us as we go from radiometric carbon dating to retroviruses. Why are there still monkeys? What is a vestigial trait? And can Chalmer structure a coherent question? It’s all here in this edition of Alternatives to Thought! Special guest: Joel Guttormson, the new Outreach and event Coordinator at the Richard Dawkins Foundation of Reason and Science!
References and Resources
- Additional listening options at www.archive.org
- “Creation Science: The Ultimate Fraud” Section 34 in Philosophy of Biology, by Michael Ruse. 1989 Prentice Hall. P. 329-
- “Human Evolution” chapter 4 in Taking Darwin Seriously, by Michael Ruse. 1998 Prometheus. P. 103-
- “What About Us?” chapter 8 in Why Evolution is True, by Jerry A. Coyne. 2009 Viking. P. 190-
- “How Different Are Humans from Other Animals?” chapter 4 in Created from Animals: The Moral Implications of Darwinism, by James Rachels. 1990 Oxford. P. 129-
- “Origins” chapter 1 in The Naked Ape: The Controversial Classic of Man’s Origins, by Desmond Morris. 1983 Delta. P. 13-
- “Judgment Day: Intelligent Design On Trial” episode of Nova. (On .avi file.)
- “Evolution and Ethics: The Sociobiological Approach” by Michael Ruse.
- Medawar, Peter. The Phenomenon of Man
- “Top Ten Creationist Arguments” on YouTube
- Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial (PBS Nova)
- Additional Resources available on request.